Sacraments and Sacramentals
Peter Fournier and Catherine Fournier
Meditations, and information about the seven sacraments along with advice and information about preparing children for participation in the sacraments. Sacramentals - those devotions that prepare us to receive actual graces are also discussed and described here.
† Basic Prayers
Though there's still lots to add, we've gathered quite a large collection of articles about the sacraments and sacramentals. It's now too long a list to scroll, so I've created the contents table below. You can just click on the category you want to zip to that section of the page. (More submissions are welcome!)
the sacraments by William Redic
A very interesting quiz to test your knowledge. Quiz your friends and children.
- Guidebook for Baptism
by Father Luis Esteban Latorre.
Twenty-one Questions and Answers, complete rite of Baptism. Everything you'll need to ensure an orthodox valid baptism.
- Baptism -It's Promises by John Pacheco
The apologetics of this sacrament.
- First Reconciliation - A Talk to Parents by Father John Lacey
- What the Church Teaches about Confession by Catherine Fournier
- In Defense of the Sacrament of Confession by Father John Lacey
- Children's Examination of Conscience by Unknown
- Children's Examination of Conscience by the Catholic Dispatch
- Examination of Conscience for Adults by Carol Heath
- Examinations of Conscience
for Adults by Catherine Fournier
An explanation of the purpose of an examination of conscience, and a collection of differently focused and organised examinations.
- Is it a Sin to Miss
Mass? by Catherine Fournier.
An answer and explanation of this question.
- Question About Fasting. by Unknown
Is the three hour fast before Communion still in effect?
- How to Take Small Ones to Mass by Catherine Fournier
- Children's Prayers by Unknown
- When MUST you get to Mass? by Maggie Geene
Is there an absolutely last minute?
- Why Was Mass Said In Latin? by Unknown
A Beloved Couple As Their Love Is Sanctified by Father Bob Papi
Teaching and encouragement about the great sacrament and call of marriage.
My Vocation by Susan Klement
A young woman, just past newly wed stage, reflects on the daily living and administering of a sacrament.
- The Sacrament of
Marriage by Father John Lacey.
Notes from a talk given at our marriage preparation course weekend.
- Why Women Can't be
Priests. by Catherine Fournier
A brief discussion and apostolic letter answering this persistent contentious subject. There is much more that can be said on this topic, we offer an 'opening discussion' here, nothing more. Further comment is welcome.
- God Calls Everyone by Maggie Geene.
A vocational article for youth explaining what vocation is, and suggesting some ways to discern a vocation.
- Planning a Catholic Funeral by Father Ray Rick and Monseigneur
Help from a priest with the Catholic understanding of death and the various parts of the Catholic funeral ritual.
- Christian Burial
by a Ukrainian Catholic priest.
An explanation of the ceremonies and stages of a Christian burial.
- Questioning Funerals by Kathy Stewart. A mother tells of her young daughter's encounter with funeral traditions.
The Rosary and other Marian Devotions
- How to Pray the
Instructions on how to pray this most fruitful of devotions.
- The Rosary in Latin by Unknown
Information about the second most powerful devotion.
- Novena for Impossible
Requests. by Unknown
The following novena honors the nine months in which Our Lady carried Our Blessed Lord in her womb.
of The Blessed Virgin by source unknown.
A work in progress. Write and tell us which prayer your family uses.
- Blessing for Parents After a Miscarriage by Elise Pratt.
- Mother's Prayer Groups
A growing trend across the country.
- Prayers for Labour by Unknown
A most appropriate addition.
- The Saint Michael Prayer
Written by Pope Leo XIII in response to our times.
- Spiritual Warfare Prayer by Father Robert DeGrandis
Prayer for protection against the trials and attacks of spiritual warfare.
Sacramentals of Protection
- Sacramentals of Protection: Salt, Oil and Water by Catherine Fournier
- Christmas Blessings by Catherine Fournier
Blessing the Creche, Enthroning the Christ Child, Blessing the Christmas Tree.
- Earliest Novena & Greater Antiphons by Catherine Fournier
An Advent Novena, the earliest novena known, and a Christmas Novena to follow.
- The Advent Wreath by Catherine Fournier
Another family devotional activity.
- The Jesse Tree by Catherine Fournier
A simple but rich and powerful family devotional for Advent.