Peter Fournier and Catherine Fournier
Here you will find a growing collection of reviews intended to be useful to parents and families. There are reviews of movies, books, educational programs, both television and curricula, home schooling. We will try to give you reviews of all those things that teach children and families about faith and living as a faithful Catholic. If you know of a book, web site, program or anything else you'd like reviewed, let us know!
Where Can You Get It?
Wherever you see a 'pile of books' image, it means that the book, CD, or audio-book is available at Amazon.com. Click on the pile to go to an Amazon.com page where you can buy the book.
|Movies and Other Media
|Children's Books and Toys
|Programs and Others
History and Tradition
The Geometry of
Love; Space, Time and Meaning in an Ordinary Church by Margaret
An exploration of an 'ordinary church' on the outskirts of Rome; a look at the rich history, sociology, theology, faith, art, beauty, and life of Every Church.
Symbols of the
Church by Maurice Dilasser.
An extensive, informative, richly illustrated book about the symbols that surround and inform us. Approach with some caution, the interest in the universality of symbols wanders into syncretism in places.
Sacrifice by Bernard Pothier. Reviewed by Catherine Fournier.
This is more than the story of a parish, it is a story of the power of faith, patience, sacrifice and obedience.
Silent Witnesses in
the Gospels: Bible Bystanders and Their Stories by Allan F.
Take a journey of the imagination with author Allan Wright, back to New Testament times, to consider what lessons we might learn from the Silent Witnesses in the Gospels.
Catholic Home and Family Life
- Reclaiming Sundays Pray, Play, Serve, Rest, Refresh, and Celebrate By Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle
Best-selling Catholic author Donna-Marie Cooper O’Boyle encourages Catholic families to reclaim a significant tradition: setting apart Sundays as a day of worship, true rest, teaching, and simply spending precious time together. In fifty-two creative chapters Donna-Marie presents fun and meaningful ideas for all fifty-two weeks of the year inspired by the seasons (both natural and liturgical), holidays, Saints days, and holy Scripture, to help keep Sundays holy, just as God said we should! Strongly recommended by a reader.
- Orderly Days: Catholic Traditions Day Planner reviewed by Faustina Konkal. An exceptionally thorough day planner for Catholic mothers, one that painlessly organizes and acts as a source of encouragement and focus in our daily temporal and spiritual life. Highly recommended.
- Holiness for Housewives (and other working women) by Dom Hubert Van Zeller Reviewed by Catherine Fournier.
- The Catholic Home by Meredith Gould. Reviewed by Faustina Konkal. A practical inspiring guide to enriching the religious identity of your home.
Mother's Resource Guide by Maria Compton-Hernandez Reviewed by
A rich source of hints for living a practical spirituality in a busy life.
- The Faith and Life Catechism series Reviewed by Dr. Peter Kreeft.
The Family Home:
Relaxed, Informal Living for All Ages by Joanna Copestick
Reviewed by Catherine Fournier.
More than just a coffee table book, a book on how to make any house into a beautiful living home for active families.
- The Guide to Lodging
in Italian Monasteries by Eileen Barish Reviewed by Catherine
Of interest for both travel information and affordable accomodation and armchair travel to important sites in Catholic history.
I Kissed Dating Goodbye
by Joshua Harris Reviewed by Katie Whittaker
Josh Harris draws an unflattering portrait of modern dating habits in his bold and timely book.
Love by Ron Grieb.
A review of a book taking a comprehensive look at the nature and depth of God's Love for us.
Movies and Other Media
- The Vatican's list of Best Movies, with links to purchase them.
- Call the Movie Review Line Reviewed by Catherine Fournier
Movie Review Sites
Reviewed by Catherine Fournier
Four movie review sites with careful, concerned, informative reviews for parents.
- The Prince of Egypt Reviewed by Catherine Fournier
- Through Her Eyes: A Journey to Jesus by Mark Mallett and Nail It Records. This powerful & contemporary CD offers a completely new method to contemplate the mysteries of the Rosary.
Reviewed by Catherine Fournier
A new magazine for Catholic women.
Shows About Nothing:
Nihilism in Popular Culture from The Exorcist to Seinfeld. By
Thomas S.Hibbs and reviewed by Doug McManaman
Hibbs traces the gradual changes in perspective on evil (and goodness) behind the production of American film.
Children's Books and Toys
- Looking For Children's Books by Regina Doman.
Picture Books Reviewed by Catherine Fournier
Classic children's books, a valuable resource for children and parents.
- The Crystal Snowstorm Reviewed by Regina Doman.
A Day on Skates by
Hilda Van Stockum. Reviewed by Catherine Fournier
Classic children's fiction, too little known today.
Chronicles of Narnia by
C. S. Lewis. Reviewed by Catherine Fournier
The classic Christian children's tale. If you've never read it, read this review, then order the books!
- Christmas Books for Children by Catherine Fournier
Programs and Others
- Revised and Updated, Family and Home Schooling Supplies . A short description and list of several organizations supplying books and other materials to families.
Education - Where is It? by Kathleen Hickey.
An extensive, carefully researched, concerned review of a Sex-Education Program, and by extension, the whole of 'Catholic education.'
- "Fully Alive" and other Family Life programs (it's a euphemism for Sex-Ed). Reviewed by Catherine Fournier