The Five Fingers Of Prayer
presumed public domain
1. Your thumb is nearest to you so begin by praying for those closest to you; they are the easiest to remember.
2. The next finger is the pointing finger. Pray for those who teach, instruct, and heal - this would include teachers, doctors and ministers. They need support and wisdom to point people in the right direction.
3. The next finger is the tallest finger. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for our politicians and the leaders of our country, leaders of business and industry, and administrators. These are the people who shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God's guidance the most.
4. The fourth is the ring finger - this is the weakest finger and the only one without an independent tendon - it should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. They need our prayers day and night.
5. Last, the little finger, the smallest of all. This is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and others. "The least shall be the greatest among you." Your pinkie finger should remind you to pray for yourself. By the time you have prayed for all the other groups, your own needs will have been put into perspective and you will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.
Return to Fridge Art Page.